Recipe for turkey breast wrapped in bacon and on a bed of lentils
– 1 boneless turkey breast (approximately 2 pounds)
– 6-8 slices of bacon
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon onion powder
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– Cooking spray (for the air fryer basket)
1. **Prep the Turkey Breast:**
– Begin by patting the turkey breast dry with paper towels. This helps the bacon adhere better to the turkey.
2. **Season Turkey:**
– Mix the garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, rosemary, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl.
3. **Coat the Turkey:**
– Drizzle the olive oil over the turkey breast and rub it all over to create a thin, even coating.
– Sprinkle the seasoning mix you prepared in step 2 all over the turkey. Make sure to season it evenly on all sides.
4. **Wrap with Bacon:**
– Lay the bacon strips side by side on a clean surface, slightly overlapping.
– Place the seasoned turkey breast on top of the bacon strips.
– Carefully wrap the bacon around the turkey, ensuring it’s well-covered. Use toothpicks to secure the bacon in place, if necessary.
5. **Preheat the Air Fryer:**
– Preheat your air fryer to 360°F (180°C) for about 5 minutes.
6. **Cook the Turkey:**
– Lightly grease the air fryer basket with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
– Place the bacon-wrapped turkey breast in the air fryer basket, seam side down. This ensures that the bacon stays in place.
– Cook at 360°F (180°C) for about 25-30 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time (around 15 minutes), flip the turkey breast to ensure even cooking. You can also baste it with some of the rendered bacon fat for added flavour.
7. **Check for Doneness:**
– Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the turkey. It should read at least 165°F (74°C) when inserted into the thickest part of the meat. If you haven’t got one, prick with a toothpick and see if the juices run clear.
8. **Crisp the Bacon (Optional):**
– If the bacon isn’t as crispy as you’d like, increase the air fryer temperature to 400°F (200°C) for the last few minutes of cooking. Keep a close eye on it to prevent burning.
9. **Rest and Serve:**
– Once the turkey breast reaches the desired temperature, remove it from the air fryer and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing. This allows the juices to redistribute and keeps the meat moist.
– Slice the turkey and serve it with your favourite sides.
Enjoy your delicious turkey breast wrapped in bacon, cooked to perfection in the air fryer!